How to make your own Felt Dahlia!
What you'll need from your fav craft store:
- Felt in the color of your choice
- Feathers of your choice
- Hot Glue Gun with glue sticks (I only say "with glue sticks" cause it sounds like something I would TOTALLY forget!)
- A jewel or button or anything you would like in the middle
- Hair clip/broach pin (I used both so if you're going to a day time BBQ you can broach it up on a cute cardigan and then if you're off to a party for the evening then you can throw it up in your hair. It's basically the Macgyver of accessories.)
Follow This Tutorial for what to cut out and how to make the petals. I used a glue gun for the whole thing so if you have one I would recommend using it. It's a complete time saver as far as this project goes.
1. Place your feather on the 3" inch circle where you want them to stick out before you start gluing down your petals. Also make sure your feathers are sticking out nice and long so they don't look stubby after adding the petals on top of them. I had this problem and fixed it by adding a couple more feathers to the back of the circle and cutting out another circle and gluing it over the back of the first one to cover the additional feather quills. You can check how the length will look by just resting one of the petals on to of the feathers and seeing where it hits.
2. Glue those feathery suckers down! I tend to put a lot of glue down because I want to make sure they are going to stay forever and ever! =)
3. Then you can build the petals according to the original tutorial.
4. After the flower petals are all on then just cut out a small circle to cover the bottoms of the center petals and glue it down. Then glue down your own little center decor piece (a button, old broach, a charm. Whatever makes your heart happy).
5. Glue on your hair clip/pin of choice to the back of it.
6. You're flippin awesome cause you're all done! Who else is going to have this gorgeous thing!? No one unless you decide that you extra like someone and you make them one. =)
I love this thing and I can't wait to wear mine for the wedding! The wedding is going to have a little bit of a country DIY feel so this thing will fit in juuuuust perfect. I can't wait to make more though. I want to make a mustard yellow one..drool.....Can't wait!
Super in love! =)